Starting with a slow build-up of sounds and chant-like effects, the songs develop deeply, breathing traces of folk, pop, and contemporary jazz into melancholy themes. Sans drummer, the quartet is able to create a slightly floating feeling, while the players’ steady pulse keeps the time anchored, subtle yet solidly unwavering.
The players evoke a calm confidence together, creating music that grooves with tension and release, mixing solemnity with hopefulness, freedom with structure: A distinctively lovely product from these dedicated musicians.
- Ryosuke Hashizume · 橋爪亮督 – tenor saxophone, clarinet, effects, voice
- Takumi Seino · 清野拓巳 – electric, acoustic guitars
- Masako Hamamura · 浜村昌子 – piano
- Yasutaka Yorozu · 萬恭隆 – bass
Recorded live at Jalan Jalan in Wakayama, Japan on November 22-23, 2008.
Released in 2009 on Grapes Records GPS 1206.
* Audio sample at top of page is a short excerpt from the opening track, “Stone Pavement”.